"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Philippians 3-4

As I read Paul's description of himself in Philippians 3, I immediately think of the contrast between this passage and the story of the rich young ruler in Matthew 19. Having been counseled by Jesus to "Sell your possessions and give to the poor," the young man "Went away sad, because he had great wealth" (Matthew 19: 21-22). It's uncertain precisely why the rich young ruler was sad; was it because he knew he'd never do what Jesus said or because he mourned for his wealth? In any event, it's not the attitude that Paul espouses.
And it's not because Paul had nothing about which to boast, either. "If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more" (Philippians 3:4). But rather than finding his identity in worldly possessions, accomplishments, and laud, Paul puts those things in appropriate, vertical perspective. "But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him" (Philippians 3: 7-9).
God delights in giving us good things, and there is nothing wrong with possessions in and of themselves (Matthew 7:11, 1 Tim 6:10). But is that where we find our value and our hope or, like Paul, do we "Press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called [us] heavenward in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:14)?

No comments:

Post a Comment