"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Well intentioned friends - Job 25-26


[4] How then can man be in the right before God? How can he who is born of woman be pure? - Job 25:4 ESV
We continue to read of the physical, emotional, and spiritual struggle that God has allowed in Job's life. Often Job's friends get a bad rap as it pertains to what and how they communicated with their friend.

In light of this I thought I would share a couple of positive thoughts regarding Job's friends that we can take to heart when it comes to the relationships God has given us.

1.) I find it refreshing that Job's friends came TO Job. They moved towards the pain with a desire to help. This is an important lesson in friendship. It is far more easy to be a friend when life is smooth. True friends are there when you struggle.

[4] Wealth brings many new friends, but a poor man is deserted by his friend. - Pro 19:4 ESV
2.) Job's friends put much effort in trying to help their friend. I'm not saying the fruit of their effort was the balm Job needed, but at least they tried.

[6] Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of an enemy. - Pro 27:6 ESV
Friends are gifts from God. Being a friend to a friend in need is a privilege. Job's friends certainly didn't respond perfectly, but I only know One Who does. :)

[24] A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. - Pro 18:24 ESV




2 comments:

  1. It's encouraging to think that the body of Christ will be there to support me in dark times. I'm equally challenged to make sure I'm there for my brothers and sisters who need me ... without them having to take the first step and ask (though certainly then too).

    I just hope my "help" isn't as theoretically bankrupt and accusatory as Job's friends' was!

    ReplyDelete