"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Isaiah 51-55


God's ways are always best.

You probably read that statement not even thinking twice about it and you would agree with it. God ways are always best. Do your everyday actions live out this statement? My head knows this is true, but my heart doesn't always live it out.

What is your response when you are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic? What is your response when you have a terrible waitress and have to wait for your food for 2 hours? What is your response when a closed loved one dies? What is your response when a friend is diagnosed with cancer? What is your response when there is no justice and you are wronged?

In the following verses God shows us that his plans for us are always right:

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts. neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." -Isaiah 55:8-9

This passage is super encouraging. The creator of the universe knows what is best for me and you. His ways are above any plan we could come up with for our lives. Even if the plan means we have to sit in traffic, or grieve the loss of a loved one, or have a hard work schedule. Whatever the circumstances may be, be encouraged friend. God gives us hope:

"For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it. For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands." -Isaiah 55: 10-12 

We can trust God. He has declared to us that he knows best. He has promised us that his Word will not return empty and not only does it not return empty, but there is purpose in God's decisions for our lives. Friends we can be joyful in God's circumstances for us and God will give us peace.




1 comment:

  1. Very thought-provoking post, Julie! You hit on a tension I've always struggled with ... some passages seem to point toward things "working out" for us in this life while others (Romans 8:35, 2 Cor 12:10, and especially John 15:18-20, among others) seem to promise we will face persecution on earth.

    Certainly all things will be redeemed in the life to come, but how do we approach earthly tribulations (apart from seeing them as opportunities for sanctification)? I for one have a much easier time "taking the long view" if I know whether I'm looking toward an earthly or heavenly endpoint!

    ReplyDelete