"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

I Corinthians 5-6

"All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be enslaved by anything." -I Corinthians 6:12

God has created and wired each one of us differently. We gravitate towards different activities and hobbies. Maybe you love food and exercise, while others may love sports, social media, or reading. Can you see anything inherently wrong with those things?...No, all of those things can be enjoyable. You know for you,what things you absolutely love and enjoy doing.

After reading the above passage,we see that we can take pleasure in the variety of God given enjoyments in life. What do you do with those interests? Paul states that we are not to be enslaved to anything. Are you enslaved to the gifts God has given to you?

For me, I enjoy social media and it's easy to constantly be enslaved to checking what is going on in social land. In the big picture, opening up my Bible or writing a friend a word of encouragement would be a much wiser choice then being enslaved to something that doesn't matter. What a convicting passage for me.

Take a moment to think about what you are possibly enslaved to. Are your interests and pleasures helpful or a hindrance in loving God and loving others? 

1 comment:

  1. What a creative look at the age-old problem of worshiping the creation rather than the Creator! We know that we have a sin nature such that, "I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing" (Romans 7:19). But we also have an indwelt Spirit that helps us keep the proper perspective on the blessings God freely grants us ... and how thankful I am for that!

    ReplyDelete