"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Monday, February 18, 2013

Matthew 17-19


Matthew 17-19         

The conversations between Jesus and the disciples that are outlined in the previous chapters give us a small glimpse into what was most likely becoming a recurring theme with them.  Christ was trying to prepare them, not only for the events that were coming, but that He was fully aware of those events and accepted them. 

The beginning of chapter 17 tells the brief account of the Transfiguration.  The change in Christ’s physical appearance was remarkable!  It brings to mind the song “I can only imagine.”  The ironic part is that we cannot even imagine what it will be like to be in the glorious presence of our Savior. 

I can only imagine
What it will be like
When I walk
By Your side

I can only imagine
What my eyes will see
When Your face
Is before me
I can only imagine

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for You Jesus or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in Your presence or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine
 
I can only imagine
When that day comes
And I find myself
Standing in the sun
 
I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever
Forever worship You
I can only imagine

-          I Can Only Imagine (Mercy Me)

The rest of chapter 17 and throughout chapters 18 and 19, Jesus dispenses a great deal of truth and guidance in small but powerful chunks.  Each parable is loaded with wisdom for daily living intermingled with clearly defined guidelines for some of life’s most difficult situations.  

Did the disciples need to see Christ in all of His heavenly glory in order to better grasp the importance of the things He would share with them in the last few days of His earthly ministry?  Was it a gift to them- a little sampling of the glory that awaited them in eternity? 

Believers who have gone before us are enjoying every moment of heaven in the glorious presence of the King of Kings.  I can only imagine!

1 comment:

  1. Seeing Christ in his majestic glory like that must have been huge. I can only image what kind of impact that would make!

    ReplyDelete