"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Job 9-10

Job 9-10 finds the titular man in a sorry state indeed. He has been deprived of every physical possession and pleasure that a man can have taken from him, and perhaps most unsettling of all, he has no idea why he is being subjected to this suffering (much could be said about Job's perspective on disobedience and punishment--the converse case of the obedience-reward dynamic explored on Thursday--but this is for another time). "Although I am blameless, I have no concern for myself; I despise my own life" (Job 9:23). In the depths of his suffering, Job cries out to God, "Do not declare me guilty, but tell me what charges you have against me. Does it please you to oppress me, to spurn the work of your hands, while you smile on the plans of the wicked" (Job 10: 2-3). We feel Job's frustration and we can practically hear the desperation in his voice.

Job needs an intercessor. He needs someone who will plead before God on his behalf, for no matter how upstanding and righteous he may be, Job does not have the standing to petition God as an equal. "
He is not a mere mortal like me that I might answer him, that we might confront each other in court. If only there were someone to mediate between us, someone to bring us together, someone to remove God’s rod from me, so that his terror would frighten me no more. Then I would speak up without fear of him, but as it now stands with me, I cannot" (Job 9:32-35).

If Job, whom God Himself describes as "Blameless and upright" (Job 1:8), needs an intercessor, then how much more do we need one too! Fortunately for us, Jesus willingly takes on that role (John 13:36, John 14: 2-3, John 14: 13, Romans 8:34, etc.). And the news gets better: In addition to God the Son pleading on our behalf, God the Spirit represents us before the Lord as well (John 14:16, Romans 8:26-27).

If God is for us, who shall be against us (Romans 8:31)?

No comments:

Post a Comment