"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Romans 7-8


Romans 7-8

To look at our own sin is difficult. Measured against the Law it is truly devastating.
"For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin." Romans 7:14 
Paul describes sin as active. In chapter 7, twice he uses the phrase, "seizing an opportunity through the commandment". Sin causes a person to do the exact opposite of what they ought to do.
"For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate." Romans 7:15 
Left to ourselves sin is an unbeatable opponent. The conflict and our need is firmly established.
"For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?" Romans 7:22-24 
There is hope! Upon acknowledging our sin and surrendering to Christ the Spirit dwells within the believer to great effect.
"If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you." Romans 8:11 
This does not mean we are free from effort. Paul plainly states, "the Spirit helps us in our weakness." We are destined for victory which implies that until that time commitment on our part is required. We can be our own worst enemy, but take encouragement from the following.
"What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31

No comments:

Post a Comment