"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Saturday, January 5, 2013

He Still Holds Fast His Integrity - Job 1-2


By Mike Durrill

[3] And the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil? He still holds fast his integrity, although you incited me against him to destroy him without reason." - Job 2:3 ESV

Here is a man who was blameless and upright. A man who feared God and shunned evil. A man whom was living in the blessing and grace of God. A man who was simply going about His life with God as His confidence, hope, and sustenance. Within two short chapters life as he knew it was over - His wealth? Gone. His children? Gone. Every enjoyment in life? Gone. His health? Gone. With the exception of his wife, every physical, human pleasure in life - vanished.

Yet here is a man who understood from his core that all of these possessions dwarfed in comparison to his relationship with God. He held fast to his integrity.

Have you ever noticed how difficult it is to really hold on to several things at the same time? I have been known to run into the grocery store and neglect grabbing a cart thinking I will just grab a few things. I typically end up getting more than I thought and end up looking like an idiot trying to hold on to it all as I make my way to the cashier! Your laughing, but I know some of you men have done the same!

Job has his grip only on the most valuable. His feet are planted on the Rock that will never shift. He understood that all of the possessions of life were really not his to begin with - they were on loan from God, for he says, "[21] "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." - Job 1:21 ESV

We can learn much from Job's integrity. It is interesting that at the root of this word "integrity" is the word "simple". We do tend to complicate life, don't we? Perhaps we would be better served to stop for a minute and look down at what we are trying to carry. What are we holding fast to? Is it a Person or a thing?

At Job's core was an understanding of eternity. This perspective keeps life simple.











No comments:

Post a Comment