"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Sunday, January 6, 2013

My Basic Need - Isaiah 1-6


By Mike Durrill

[15] Man is humbled, and each one is brought low, and the eyes of the haughty are brought low. [16] But the LORD of hosts is exalted in justice, and the Holy God shows himself holy in righteousness. - Isa 5:15-16 ESV

God declares earlier that He has raised up children and His children have rebelled against Him.

God chose Israel and had given them every opportunity to enjoy relationship with Him and yet they consistently turned their nose up at Jehovah and went their own way. It is the nature of man to rebel against God - thus the reason we need a new nature.

I was struck by the contrast in verse 15 and 16 of chapter 5. Man is humbled - God is exalted. Man is proud - of what? God is holy and shows it in His righteousness.

As I read through Isaiah I am always brought back again to my basic need. As Isaiah will state later in the book - I am poor, miserable, naked, and blind. I simply need God. I need Him to change me into a child of His.

I cannot attain to His holiness. I cannot measure up to His righteousness. There is nothing I have, nothing I can do that will change these spiritual facts. I am undone. These realizations give definition to my need - GRACE.


[23] for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, [24] and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, - Rom 3:23-24 ESV




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ready this passage thinking how hopeless I am in and of myself and then verse 18 shakes it all up: “Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson,they shall become like wool.

    Praise God

    ReplyDelete