"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Friday, January 11, 2013

Armor Upon Armor -- Psalm 3-5

by Diana Durrill
"But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy, and spread your protections over them, that those who love your name may exult in you.  For you bless the righteous, O LORD; you cover him with favor as with a shield." - Psalm 5:11-12
The image of the Lord shielding me with favor is a beautiful thought, one that bring tremendous comfort to my heart.  As I face discouragement, temptation, or personal struggles of various kinds I can find great comfort in words such as these - that Jehovah has His protection spread over me, shielding me with favor!

In Spurgeon's Treasury of David  I found this gem:

The shield is not for the defense of any particular part of the body, as almost all the other pieces are: helmet, fitted for the head; plate, designed for the breast; and so others, they have their several parts, which they are fastened to; but the shield is a piece that is intended for the defense of the whole body. It was therefore to be made very large; for its broadness, called a gate or door, because so long and large, as in a manner to cover the whole body. And if the shield were not large enough at once to cover every part, yet being a movable piece of armor, the skillful soldier might turn it this way or that way, to catch the blow or arrow from lighting on any part they were directed to. And this indeed doth excellently well set forth the universal use that faith is of to the Christian. It defends the whole man: every part of the Christian by it is preserved. . . . . The shield doth not only defend the whole body, but it is a defense to the soldier's armor also; it keeps the arrow from the helmet as well as head, from the breast and breastplate also. Thus faith, it is armor upon armor, a grace that preserves all the other graces. - William Gurnall.

Some additional verses to consider:
"My shield is with God, who saves the upright in heart."  - Psalm 7:2
 "The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." - Psalm 18:2
"This God--his way is perfect; the word of the LORD proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him." - Psalm 18:30 
"For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly." - Psalm 84:11 
"You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in your word." - Psalm 119:114 
"In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one." - Ephesians 6:16
Thus faith, it is armor upon armor, 
a grace that preserves all the other graces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment