"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Genesis 30-31

by Adam Johnson

So Jacob took a stone and set it up as a pillar. Genesis 31:45

Jacob again set up for himself a covenant marker similar to the one he had made at Bethel. These covenant markers served as physical reminders to enable Jacob to recall the powerful defining moments of his life.

This covenant was with another man, but it served as a powerful reminder that this came about because he was afraid and refused to believe God. Jacob tricked Laban and fled to Canaan apart from God's plan. God in his love intervened, and Jacob saw the protection of his God.

I'm so thankful God pursues us when we go our own way, and calls us back to Him. We may not necessarily use physical reminders like Jacob, but it is a great thing to set up reminders in our own hearts of the defining moments that signify His faithfulness to us and His word.

1 comment:

  1. I can think of several times in my life that I look back to as "markers" that were defining moments of spiritual decisions, that I am so grateful for. During the quiet reflective times of my life, thoughts of these times bring me back again to eternal realities. Great post.

    ReplyDelete