"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Job 6-9

by Mike Durrill


"For he crushes me with a tempest and multiplies my wounds without cause;" - Job 9:17 ESV

This man Job, lived as a contemporary of Abraham thousands of years ago. That fact alone brings a unique perspective to his story. My initial thought is, "Wow, human nature hasn't changed in 5,000 years!" Trying to insert myself into Job's situation is difficult in the sense that God has definitely not allowed Satan to "touch" my life in this horrific way. Yet, when the smallest of challenges arise in my life, I tend to have a similar reaction toward God as Job does in verse 17. They come in the form of silent questions, such as: Why? What have I done to deserve this? I am trying to serve you with my whole heart and this is what I get?

Do Christians face these "Job type" tests in 2012? From my spoiled American perspective it seems difficult to answer that question in the affirmative. Yet, I wonder, how would Christians who don't have the freedom, ease and life of comfort that I have, or those who might face Job-type trials would answer that question?

And then my thoughts go beyond to, "I wonder if they respond like me?"


No comments:

Post a Comment