"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Monday, April 16, 2012

Psalm 56, 120, 140-142


by Paul Ice


in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.
What can man do to me?
(Psalm 56:11 ESV)

As I read this Psalm I was reminded of the blogs I have been reading of the persecuted church.  A Pastor friend, Steve Hafler has done a wonderful job on his facebook collecting stories of the men and women proclaiming the gospel in unreached places of the world.  I image their prayers have echoed David’s psalms.

When you read the collections of these Psalms today you catch the special relationship that David had with God.  David passion was for the cause. “Grant not, O Lord, the desires of the wicked; do not further their evil plot, or they will be exalted!” Other parts of the Psalm show David’s personal struggles also.  He doesn’t claim to be above fear, but when he fears he puts his trust in God.  He does not claim to understand all that God is doing, but this he knows, “God is for me.”

I wonder how many people across the world can identify with these cries that David records.  Read them and think of places like, North Korea, Iran, Afghanistan, Somalia, etc.

With my voice I cry out to the Lord;
with my voice I plead for mercy to the Lord. 

no refuge remains to me;

Bring me out of prison,
that I may give thanks to your name!

But my eyes are toward you, O God, my Lord;
in you I seek refuge; leave me not defenseless!

Be gracious to me, O God, for man tramples on me;

All day long they injure my cause;
all their thoughts are against me for evil.

Lastly. . .

For you have delivered my soul from death,
yes, my feet from falling,
that I may walk before God
in the light of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment