"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Faith I Want - I Samuel 15-17

One of my favorite parts of the story of David and Goliath is the demonstration of David's great faith in his God.  The little guy arrives on the battle scene to bring some bread and cheese for his older brothers who were actually serving in the king's army.  Everyone is afraid of the Philistine giant, Goliath, who by human terms was invincible.  No one was willing to face him even though great reward had been offered to the man who defeats him.  David courageously volunteers to take the giant on.  King Saul, upon meeting this brave young man who has offered to step up to the plate, says to David what everybody was thinking,

"You are not able to go against this Philistine to fight him, for you are but a youth, and he has been a man of war from his youth."


Don't you just love David's response?  (This is the part that makes me smile. Every. Single. Time.)


"Your servant used to keep sheep for his father.  And when there came a lion, or a bear, and took a lamb from the flock, I went after him and struck him and delivered it out of his mouth.  And if he arose against me, I caught him by his beard and struck him and killed him.  Your servant has struck down both lions and bears, and this uncircumcised Philistine shall be like one of them, for he has defied the armies of the living God.  The LORD who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine."


And so Saul lets him go fight Goliath (after fitting him with armor that was cumbersome and awkward, which David quickly discarded).  
And Goliath mocks David and the army of Israel for sending a child.
And yet, David gives one last word of warning,


"You come to me with a sword and with a spear and with a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.  This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand and I will strike you down and cut off your head.  And I will give the dead bodies of the host of the Philistines this day to the birds of the air and to the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel, and that all this assembly may know that the LORD saves not with sword and spear.  For the battle is the LORD'S and he will give you into our hand." (emphasis mine)


Hooray for David!  Just the speech alone makes you want to stand up and shout while offering thunderous applause!  Can you imagine the men who were watching and listening?  Those who were afraid to fight?  Their jaws were probably on the ground and then, suddenly, David does what he set out to do!  He strikes Goliath with a stone flung from a slingshot so that he falls flat on his face and David swiftly takes off his head.  Like a scene from a movie, I envision the army of Israel suddenly waking from their stupor and lifting their swords while running forth into battle against the remaining Philistine army.


It is as grand a Bible story ever told and we tell it over and over again to our children, but I think we often miss the opportunity to park on the faith that David demonstrated.  He believed that God's word and promises were true.  He believed that the nation of Israel would be protected.  He truly believed that it didn't take strength or numbers or fancy weaponry.  He truly believed that God was in control and it was simply his job to obey.


I wish I had faith like David's.  I often think I do.  But then I say or do something that demonstrates my dependency on armor, or protection, or my personality, or talent, or efforts.  I do this because I really don't believe that God doesn't need my help.  I do this because I have a lot of faith in my ability to get something done (or on the flip side, I don't do something because I don't believe my skill set is suitable for the job God has laid out for me).  I wish it weren't that way.  With God's help it doesn't have to be.


I desire to demonstrate faith that moves mountains simply by believing in the GOD of Israel and then obeying His word.

No comments:

Post a Comment