"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Judges 6-7

by Adam Johnson


And he said to him, "Please, Lord, how can I save Israel? Behold, my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father's house." Judges 6:15


We as God 's people are predictable at times. God tells us how He views us ("O mighty man of valor") in Gideon's case, and immediately there are excuses why it cannot be true (I am the least). God's Word is not just full of half-truths to prop us up to be strong, but it actually is how He perceives us.

This verse just struck me because Gideon does not know yet this is "the angel of the LORD" a pre-incarnate Christ (because he accepted worship and His appropriate title--O Lord GOD). After this encounter Gideon continued to test God with requests to allay his fears, but God never rebuked Gideon.

When God speaks to us through His Word do we just simply refuse to believe that God knows us? He tells us over 300 times to not fear or not be afraid, yet what is one of the most common sin of our lives--fear. He sets clear boundaries for us, but when we fail some think that this time He is done with us. When God speaks we must listen and believe what He says is truth.


Thus says the LORD: "Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the
mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the LORD." Jeremiah 9:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment