"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Friday, February 24, 2012

Numbers 3-4 Serving and Carrying


by Jill Ice

In Numbers 3-4, God numbered the Levites and gave them jobs to do.  There were a total of 8,580 Levite men between the ages of 30 and 50, and they each were assigned specific tasks when the Tabernacle was to be moved. 

Being part of a church plant (or “church in a box”, as I like to say), I know what it’s like to set up for church each week.  Of course, setting up for our weekly church service is much less exacting than packing up the Tabernacle for a move or setting up after a move. 

For instance, I’m allowed to look at the furniture I’m moving.  In Numbers, Aaron’s sons were given the task of covering the tabernacle furniture and vessels before the moving commenced.  If the covering was not done properly, a fellow Levite could die. 

As I read through chapter four, I found myself completely identifying with the people referred to in the last verse:

“According to the commandment of the Lord through Moses they were listed, each one with his task of serving or carrying.”

I have done a lot of carrying these past sixteen months.  J

To make a spiritual application – we all have a job to do.  Whether we serve or carry, let’s do it for the Lord, living out the gospel daily.


Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.
Colossians 3:23

No comments:

Post a Comment