"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Sunday, October 20, 2013

What kind of Christian T-Shirt do you wear? - Nahum

How many of you wear Christian T-shirts? It may be your thing, or it may not be your thing. As long as it's not one of those shirts that rips a logo from something like a breakfast cereal and in uncreative form adjusts the logo while adding a little Christian tag line I'm ok with them. I think they can be great conversation starters when you are out and about.  But how many of you have ever seen a Christian T-shirt with Nahum 1:2-3 plastered right on it?

The Lord is a jealous and avenging God, the Lord is avenging and wrathful, the Lord takes vengeance on his adversaries and keeps wrath for his enemies. The Lord is slow to anger and great in power, and the Lord will be no means clear the guilty.

I'm probably safe in saying that it doesn't happen. Well I'm not here to say I have a shirt like that, and I don't really know if I would wear one myself. But why does that seem so far fetched? It sounds crazy right.

All I want to say today is that to fully understand God you have to know this side of God. And in our Christian culture most of us are either scarred to talk about this or we don't understand it and try to ignore it best we can. I asked my teens this T-shirt question recently and some of them gave the answer that the broader Christian culture would say. "It will give people the wrong view of God."

The truth is that if this is all you preach about God, then yes absolutely that's a horrible depiction of our God and Savior. But along the same line, if all you ever say is that Jesus loves you and that he will accept you and show you grace no matter what, while leaving out this other half of God, then you are just as wrong.

People have to understand that God takes sin seriously. Your sin and my sin is not a light manner. It's rebellion against our creator. Jesus Christ had to die on a cross for it!

Let's not lose sight of this. It will enhance our appreciation for God's forgiveness and redemption!

No comments:

Post a Comment