"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Thursday, April 11, 2013

1 Samuel 21-25

What motivates a person's words and actions? These five chapters are rich with both selfish, sinful motives and humble, Godly motives.

For Self 

Saul spoke and acted out of pride.  Saul ignored undeniable truth from a man of God, Ahimelech. 
Then Ahimelech answered the king, “And who among all your servants is so faithful as David, who is the king's son-in-law, and captain over your bodyguard, and honored in your house? Is today the first time that I have inquired of God for him? No! Let not the king impute anything to his servant or to all the house of my father, for your servant has known nothing of all this, much or little.” 22:14-15 

Doeg spoke and acted out of ambition. He perceived an opportunity to advance his own position. 
And Saul said to his servants who stood about him, “Hear now, people of Benjamin; will the son of Jesse give every one of you fields and vineyards, will he make you all commanders of thousands and commanders of hundreds, 22:7 

Nabal spoke and acted out of entitlement. He demanded order and hierarchy ensuring his profits without disruption.
And Nabal answered David's servants, “Who is David? Who is the son of Jesse? There are many servants these days who are breaking away from their masters. Shall I take my bread and my water and my meat that I have killed for my shearers and give it to men who come from I do not know where?” 25:10-11
 Selfish motives are characterized by a lack of understanding and vision. They may seem justified in the moment, but are exposed for their fault over time.

For God 

David, Ahimelech, Abigail each came to clear decision points. They could choose self or God. The choice would not necessarily ensure physical safety. In the verses above, 22:14-15, as well as those below there is a clear declaration of God's authority and direct involvement. 
Behold, this day your eyes have seen how the Lord gave you today into my hand in the cave. And some told me to kill you, but I spared you. I said, ‘I will not put out my hand against my lord, for he is the Lord's anointed.’ 24:10 
And when the Lord has done to my lord according to all the good that he has spoken concerning you and has appointed you prince over Israel, my lord shall have no cause of grief or pangs of conscience for having shed blood without cause or for my lord working salvation himself. And when the Lord has dealt well with my lord, then remember your servant.” 25:30-31
Let our day be characterized by humble, Godly motives.

No comments:

Post a Comment