"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

1 Corinthians 13-14

I continue to enjoy our bible reading plan. The grouping of chapters is thoughtfully beneficial. Consider today's reading. Chapter 13 is a prominent passage concerning love. These eloquent verses establish the centrality of love in our lives and what love looks like in application.
But all things should be done decently and in order. 14:40
Now contrast chapter 14; here Paul writes about order, for example, the proper use of tongues and prophesy. He emphasizes motive and instructs how to achieve benefit for everyone.
Paul insightfully emphasizes love in chapter 13 before addressing the topics of chapter 14 so that the recipients of this wisdom have the proper perspective. The topics of chapter 14 can be dividing without proper context. That context is love--love is our motive. Love is our perspective on all things.
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. 13:1-3 

No comments:

Post a Comment