"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Monday, December 3, 2012

Of First Importance, I Cor 15,16

by Paul Ice


I get gospel-amnesia. Even though I talk about it a lot, I need to be regularly reminded of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  And so that is what the Apostle Paul is doing in I Cor 15. 

            “Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.
            For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,”
           
(1 Corinthians 15:1-4 ESV)

Paul points directly to the events of the cross and resurrection of Christ. He is not concerned with just any gospel, but with the only gospel that saves. This is “the gospel I preached to you,”

Paul writes with urgency about the truths that are “as of first importance.” All revealed truth is vital, invaluable, life-changing truth to which every disciple of Christ is fully accountable. But certain truths are of highest importance, and that is the language Paul uses.

And what is of first importance? “That Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures,” and “that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures.” The cross and the empty tomb stand at the center of the Christian faith. Without these, there is no good news — no salvation.  The gospel is at the center of our faith, and the cross and the empty tomb are at the center of the gospel.

Paul, who wrote 75% of the New Testament, “Of everything I wrote, of everything I talked about, of everything I unpacked for you, let me give you what’s of first importance. Let me give you what you can’t mess up. If you mess this up, everything else is off. Even if it’s right, you’re off in how you operate in it. You’ve got to get this right.”


“So we preach, and so you believed,” Paul encourages us. [1 Cor. 15:11]

A great daily reminder

No comments:

Post a Comment