"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Thursday, June 21, 2012

by Diana Durrill

We read today of the impressiveness of Solomon's wealth and wisdom.  I don't know about you but when I read through all three of today's chapters I find myself unable to comprehend wealth of this magnitude.  I mean, so much ivory that you can make a throne out of it?  And then overlay it with gold - as if the ivory alone wouldn't have been beautiful enough?  The homes, the livestock (4,000 stalls?!),  the drinking vessels, the armory, the massive beams for the temple and his place of residence?  In 2012, we simply look through catalogs and are enamored by the beautiful pictures of perfectly designed rooms and yet, they can't even compare to the luxuriousness of Solomon's kingdom.  He made silver commonplace in Jerusalem (as commonplace as stone!).

We read of his wisdom and how it was so renowned that the Queen of Sheba came to experience it for herself.  She clearly had a lot on her mind and she came to seek his counsel.  The issues she laid before him, whatever they were, he was able to answer easily.  There was nothing he couldn't explain to her.  The passage states that when she saw and experienced the wealth and wisdom of Solomon it took her breath away! (I Kings 10:5, 2 Chronicles 9:4)

But for all of Solomon's wisdom and all of his great wealth, he still allows his heart to be turned away by other gods.  God had forbidden the men of Israel to take wives from the other nations for the important reason that they would "surely" turn the men's hearts toward their gods. (I Kings 11: 1-2)  And sure enough, Solomon clung to his 700 wives, princesses and 300 concubines in love and they turned away his heart.

I can be quick to judge and think, "What a waste!  What a sad story of one who was given so much in life and he just threw it all away for the love of beautiful women!". But it also causes me to pause and think about my own life. How blessed I am with material possessions and a personal knowledge of the Messiah, Jesus Christ! And yet...I find my heart being turned away from God by the little g gods that wrestle with my heart on a daily basis.  The god(s) of pride, selfishness, materialism, vanity, entertainment, discontentment, knowledge...you name it, these thing and others have been and will continue to be things that vie for my heart's devotion.  I am no different from Solomon in that I have been given much wisdom - a "more sure word of prophecy" in the Scriptures and the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit - paired with an abundance of material wealth!  (Oh sure, it's not wealth like Solomon experienced but it doesn't take one much traveling experience - even just across town - to realize that we are blessed materially compared to so many others in this current day and age.)  And yet, in spite of my direct access to Wisdom (Jesus Christ) and the provisions for my daily needs and more, I am still lacking in my devotion to Jehovah Jirah who gives it all to me (Jehovah Jirah means "God will provide").

I pray that Solomon's story of love affairs with the little g gods in his life will continue to be a reminder to me to keep my heart bound to the Lord Jesus Christ.  My focus, my desire, my love for all the things He provides should be centered around His person and the gods vying for my affection dim in comparison to the treasure that He is.




No comments:

Post a Comment