"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Wait? Huh? How long? For real?


By Pastor Durrill


[4] From of old no one has heard or perceived by the ear, no eye has seen a God besides you, who acts for those who wait for him. - Isaiah 64:4 ESV

Wait. 

When I think of this word it brings many thoughts to mind, especially the times I have used that word when speaking to one of my children! When impatience is seen aren't we so quick to sharply respond with the phrase, "I said, Wait!" What we mean by the sharp "Wait" is, stop interrupting! Stop bugging me! Be patient! Go away so I can think! :)

God uses this word many, many times throughout Scripture and yet not with the harsh frustration we can be guilty of.

Here are a few just from the psalms:



[3] Indeed, none who wait for you shall be put to shame; they shall be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous. ... [5] Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long. ... [21] May integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for you. - Psalm 25:3, 5, 21 ESV


[14] Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD! - Psalm 27:14 ESV


[24] Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the LORD! - Psalm 31:24 ESV


[7] Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices! ... [9] For the evildoers shall be cut off, but those who wait for the LORD shall inherit the land. ... [34] Wait for the LORD and keep his way, and he will exalt you to inherit the land; you will look on when the wicked are cut off. - Psalm 37:7, 9, 34 ESV


[15] But for you, O LORD, do I wait; it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer. - Psalm 38:15 ESV


[7] "And now, O Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you. - Psalm 39:7 ESV


[9] I will thank you forever, because you have done it. I will wait for your name, for it is good, in the presence of the godly. - Psalm 52:9 ESV


[5] I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I hope; - Psalm 130:5 ESV


We can wait with eager expectation on God because of His Name, His Word, and His Works. God will always act in accordance with these three. As we read His Word we gain knowledge that indeed gives us the ability to patiently wait -

On Him. For Him. Because of Him.

It will be worth the wait.







No comments:

Post a Comment