"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Friday, July 20, 2012

Hosea 1-7 What's In a Name?


by Jill Ice

The story of Hosea and his troubled marriage to the prostitute Gomer is a powerful metaphor of our unfaithfulness to God and His unfailing love to us. Second only to God’s shocking instruction to Hosea to marry a prostitute is God’s choice of names for Hosea’s three children. 

  • Jezreel (a son) - meaning "bloodshed", for God is about to humble Israel in the Jezreel valley
  • Lo-Ruhamah (a daughter) – meaning “no mercy”
  • Lo-Ammi (a son) – meaning “not my people”

When my children were born, I pondered over names and the meanings of names.  I considered questions such as: what character traits did I want my children to possess?  Who did I want my children to emulate as a namesake? I can honestly say that I never thought to call my child No Mercy or Not My People.

Hosea was called upon by God to do hard things (marrying a prostitute, bestowing upon his children hopeless and depressing names) as a harsh and in-your-face demonstration of God’s relationship with the meandering Israel and, by extension, the New Testament church.

Yet there is hope. For we are speaking of God – Who loves us with a love that is all-consuming, ever-passionate, never-failing, never-giving-up. As Hosea purchases back his own wife when she turns from her husband into an adulterous affair, God sends His own Son to redeem His bride (the church) from the lust of the flesh and the affair with the world.

When Gomer is brought back to Hosea and the nation of Israel is reconciled to God, Hosea’s children get new names:

  • Jezreel’s name is changed to a more positive meaning which seems to indicate God’s blessing.
  • Lo-Ruhamah is restored to Ruhamah, bringing God's grace and compassion back to His people after they have repented of their rebellion.
  • Lo-Ammi is given the new name: Ammi. In their cry of repentance, God will restore Israel as His children on condition that they obey Him. 

I have a new identity in Christ. I was once No Mercy and Not My People. Now I am a redeemed, forgiven, justified child of the living God.  And it’s not because of anything I have done. It is all because of Him, my Redeemer.



1 comment:

  1. New identity.
    New name.
    New righteousness.
    New hope.
    New destiny.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete