"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Mercy and Compassion - Matthew 25

by Diana Durrill


"'For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.'  Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?  And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?  And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?'  And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'" -- Matthew 25:35-40 
Demonstrating mercy to our brothers demonstrates a love and service toward our Lord Jesus Christ.  It's as if we are performing the act of kindness to Jesus Himself.

I remember a night long ago when I was young -- I think I was 11 or 12.  I was lying in bed, trying to fall asleep since I had school the next morning.  My father was gone and mom was the only one still awake downstairs.  As I lay there in my bed, I heard a man's voice that didn't belong to my father.  As I strained to hear, I realized that my mother had invited someone into our home and that I could hear a nervousness in her voice.  I crept down the hall, trying to listen better and my suspicions were confirmed.  Mom had indeed invited someone in (I couldn't tell who) and she sounded somewhat anxious.  I decided to take my chances and join her downstairs in order that I might satisfy my curiosity, knowing full well that if I got in trouble I would protest that my intention was to be a support to her.  There was no need for worry as she was glad to see me.  What I saw surprised and startled me, but my mother's actions taught me so much about the truths of this scripture.

Sitting on the sofa before me was a shirtless, nameless man, bloodied from a knife fight.  His chest, shoulders and face were a mess, covered in blood.  Mom was bringing him a glass of water and asking him what had happened.  He shared how he had been in fight with another man and when the knife had been pulled, he got away as quickly as he could and ran to the nearest house with lights on (ours).  My mother gave him our telephone to call for help, a cold drink, something to clean his wounds with and the comfort and safety of our home.

I will never forget the image of that man sitting on our sofa as my  mother served him in love.  Yes, she was anxious and concerned for our safety, but she chose to follow the prompting of the Holy Spirit to serve a stranger in need.  This type of behavior was modeled for me over and over again throughout my childhood.  Oh, not always in such a dramatic or risky fashion, but both of my parents have consistently chose to meet needs and serve others even when it cost them time and resources.

I am not as naturally bent toward mercy as my parents are, but my heart's desire is to hear the Holy Spirit when He is prompting me to serve a soul in need.  Mike and I both desire to use our resources to meet the needs of others and to provide a refuge for the hurting.  We pray that Valley Community will be a church strengthened through selfless serving others in our church community and neighborhoods.

No comments:

Post a Comment