"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Friday, November 9, 2012

Matthew 26 Weakness


by Jill Ice

Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
Matthew 26:41

We live in a society that celebrates accomplishments and disparages weaknesses. So we become really adept at hiding our weaknesses and highlighting our strengths. Yet, our weaknesses have a way of showing up and blowing our cover of having it all together (as if!).

Maybe we should not be so concerned with appearing to have it all together. After all, we are a fallen people. We mess things up. This is how we know our need for Jesus is pervasive, deep, and never-ending. And praise God, He is there in our weakness.

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.
Romans 8:26

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:9-10

Our weaknesses push us to Christ. Therefore, we should view those weaknesses as a means of grace. As we step out of the way, Christ steps in to our difficult lives and situations and makes beautiful things from the ashes that were there. And the beauty of the work of Christ within us brings glory to Himself and gives hope to those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment