"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Proverbs 17-18

Whoever mocks the poor insults his Maker; he who is glad at calamity will not go unpunished.

This verse just instantly reminds me of the tongue passage in James 3:

With it we bless out Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the image and likeness of God...these things out not to be so.

The only grouping or label God ever puts on anyone is sinner or saint. We were all sinners once, and the only difference between the redeemed and the damned is the life giving blood of Jesus. So when I think about that truth and when I see passages like this I am challenged. Do I look at a person the way God looks at them? Do I think about their eternal soul, and the image of God that they are created in? It's easy to throw labels around: pathetic, loser, alpha, liberal, gay, aloof, minority, trust fund kid. The list could go on and on, but when I classify people in a demeaning way or elevate them to highly I display a spirit of anti-Christ.

God loves every individual, and he died for us all. Let's keep that in mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment