"Your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." - 2 Thessalonians 1:3b

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Held in Jesus' Arms

by Diana Durrill 
"And they were bringing children to him that he might touch them, and the disciples rebuked them.  But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, 'Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God.  Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.'  And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands on them."  - Mark 10:13-16 

The highlighted verse makes me think of my sister, Teresa Lynn.  I have never met Teresa because she was stillborn a year-and-a-half before I my birth day.  This verse is engraved on her tombstone and whenever I come across it I think of her.  What is she like?  Is she shy?  Outgoing?  Friendly?  Kind?Stubborn?  Who does she resemble -- the James side or the Berry side?  Dark haired or light?  Tall or short?  The one thing I know about Teresa is that she is with Jesus.  He welcomed her into His arms before her earthly father was able to hold her. 

This verse is clearly not referencing death.  It is referring to children who come to Christ at a young age because of their ability to simply believe, to simply trust.  Adults tend to complicate things.  We over-think.  We dissect and analyze and manipulate the simple gospel in order to make it fit our human understanding.  Surely there is something I can or should do to merit salvation.  I can be good.  I can pray regularly.  I can feed the homeless, give to the poor, serve the church.  

Jesus gave the object lesson of these children in order that we might learn from them -- so that we might learn that the gospel is simple enough for a child to understand and take hold of.  It is a simple, childlike trust and faith in Jesus Christ, His finished work on the cross and resurrection from the dead that leads us into everlasting life.  

And just as quickly and easily as Teresa was welcomed into the Lord Jesus' arms that cold day in February, 1971, so will we be ushered in to the kingdom of God when we simply trust that He is who He says He is.  We can know that we are held safe and secure in the arms of Jesus and that He will never let us go.

I am thankful that I have never had to experience the pain my mother experienced that day.  And I am thankful - oh, so thankful - that all five of my children have placed their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ while they were yet children.  

Have you placed your faith in the Savior, Jesus Christ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment